Wednesday, May 19, 2010

A Letter to My Daughter on her 2nd Birthday

Dearest Baby Girl,

I hope that you can look back on this when you are older and understand just how precious you are to me. Every day I watch you grow and learn, and I marvel at how incredible you are. You sing wonderful songs, making up your own lyrics and tunes, dance fun bouncy jigs to just about any music, and jump everywhere. You talk constantly, usually asking your dad or myself to do something for you. Sometimes these requests turn into songs. "Can you get the strawberries for me? Can you get the 'Strawberry Ice Cream, Chocolate ice cream, yum, yum, yum, yum, yum'"

You are so smart. You recognize many letters when we read and have all your books memorized. Your favorite books right now are Corduroy, Curious George, and Brown Bear. You speak in complete sentences and have just recently begun carrying on actual conversations with us. "Did you sleep well?" "I slept well. Would you get up with me?" You still like to parrot everything we say, but you also respond. You love to identify animals and count. You can count to 20 in English and 13 in German. Did I mention you can speak German? You are creative. You produce the most beautiful art, and you are always finding new ways to use ordinary objects.

You are sweet. Every time you hear a baby cry, you look at me with a pained looked and say, "mama, that baby is sad." I breaks my heart. When you see someone that is sad, you always try to give them a hug, even if it is a stranger. You learned to share somewhere and work hard to make sure that everyone has something (pretzel sticks, flowers...etc). When you wake up in the middle of the night, you like to curl up next to me for about five minutes before going back to your own bed, and you give the sweetest kisses. All the time.

I am telling you this so that you never doubt just how special and absolutely amazing you are. I am also telling you this so that you know that you are loved. Deeply and Forever.

Happy Birthday my little Illy Billy Boo.

No comments: