Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Weighing Options

Before my friends, Brendan and Stina, moved to Magdeburg I don't recall ever thinking to myself, "boy, I'd sure like to see Magdeburg Germany before I die." In fact, I don't think that I'd actually be in Magdeburg Germany at all if my friends weren't here. Is that a good enough reason to move somewhere?

Tonight is our crucial decision time - do we settle down here in Magdeburg or should we move on and explore some other part of the world? There are pros and cons to both options, but here is the way I see it right now:

Staying in Magdeburg:
Pros:
* We are already here
* Rent is cheep
* Our friends are letting us stay with them until we get a place
* We have friends here - including their friends , whom they are generously sharing with us
* We have already started the process to stay here and know how it works
* I might be forced to learn German

Cons:
* Its COLD
* While there is some interesting history to the city, there is not a lot to see or do
* It prevents us from living someplace that we have always wanted to see
* It is very hard to get around if you don't know German
* Have I mentioned how COLD it is?

Moving on and exploring someplace else
Pros:
* Getting to see all those cities that I've always wanted to see
* I'm thinking warm tropical locations
* Ilya can do things OUTSIDE because it won't be FREEZING

Cons:
* Much more expensive (both to live and to get set up the live there)
* Messing up poor Ilya again just as she is getting settled
* Won't know anyone

I don't know what we are going to do. Adam is working right now so I can't talk to him. Initial thoughts are: Staying would be easier but leaving might be more rewarding in the long run. I'll keep you updated.

No comments: