Thursday, February 5, 2009

Reading memories


Books are very important in our family. I try to read out loud to SDN every night and I always to Alice before I put her down to sleep. One of the reasons I do this is because it is what a "good" parent does, but the more important reason is that I truly love books and reading.

Ever since I was a little kid, I've loved to lose myself in a story. My father used to call me on his way home from work and ask me what Baby-Sitters Club book or Sweet Valley High book I needed next in the series so that he could pick it up for me.

One of my favorite memories of my grandmother centers around a book. I think I was in 5th grade and, I had managed to tear all the skin off booth my shins in a weird somersault over a brick wall sort of thing. It was the worst injury that I could remember having, and my parents were appropriately sympathetic. My wounds were dressed and I was bundled up on the couch. My grand-mother came over and sat all day long by my side reading some chapter book from beginning to end. It was the first time I had had the sheer pleasure of listening to an entire book. Her voice must have been hurting, but she never stopped reading, and I got to lose myself in this wonderful story with her.

I want Alice to experience that feeling. I want to read her books when she is sick and travel with her to places only she can imagine.

No comments: